Sia Kate Isobelle Furler,globally known as Sia,is an Aussie songwriter,record producer,music video director and one of the greatest voices of all times.Born on 18th of December 1975 in Adelaide,South Australia,Sia’s tumultous,roller coaster like,yet earnestly admirable road to success and mental,psyhical and spiritual recovery is one worth the recognition and story-telling.
At only 22 years old,she had released her debut studio album,named “Only See” on Flavoured Records in Australia,while at 33 marked her first album to chart in The United States at number 26 on US Billboard 200 only for now,to become of the most rated and loved singers in the pop industry,with her seventh and latest album making headlines all over the world,titled “This is acting”.
Regardless if you had listened to her music once or twice in your lifetime,had heard her randomnly on radio or had not seen her at all before,I’ve got you covered with some of the less known facts about one of the best artists of our generation.You can thank me later.
- Although she had been working in the music industry for over twenty years,Sia’s smash-hit “Chandelier” from her sixth studio album “1000 Forms of Fear” made her popular amongst Hollywood and got her the notoriety and fame she would have well deserved way before.It’s kind of odd for her long-standing fans(myself included) ,but I guess that everything happens for a reason.Also,it was certainly worth the wait,considering her professional ascent in the following years.
- Her career in singing actually began in a local band named “Crisp” in the mid-1990s,which lasted until 1997,when Sia took the status of a solo musician.
- She began touring across The United States for the first time in 2005,when she moved in New York due to having problems connecting with her audience and poor promotion by her record label during her first three albums.The following years included releases of her fourth and fifth studio albums,titled “Some People Have Real Problems”in 2008 and “We are born” in 2010.
- Sia’s outstanding voice made her flexible in reaching several music styles over the years,including hip-hop,funk and soul.However,at her main core remained pop music,which devoted her.
- She was ranked the 97th richest person in Australia under the age of 40 by BRW Magazine,with a reported worth of AU $20 million.
- Besides her own masterpieces,she managed to write several famous songs for her fellow celebrities that were on our lips at least a hundred of times.Some of the hits she created are Rihanna’s big hit,”Diamonds”,Beyonce’s “Pretty Hurts”,David Guetta’s “Titanium” and “She Wolf”,which actually had kept her demo vocals,Flo Rida’s “Wild Ones”,Lea Michele’s “Cannonball”,Christina Aguilera’s iconic song “You lost me”,“Invincible” by Kelly Clarkson,as well as Ne-Yo’s “Let me love you”.
- She’s bisexual,stating proudly in an interview that she falls in love “with the person,not the gender”.
- Fame is one particular thing that she never was interested in,confirming her shyness and fear of being judged by wearing all kinds of masks and wigs in order to cover her face and make the world focus on her tremendous talent.Her music is all that matters,making her different and so much more special to me.I like different,therefore I like her and the mistery she gains from hiding her appearance.
- Amongst her international recognition,she received several awards,including 8 ARIA Music Awards,1 MTV Video Music Awards,1 Rolling Stone Australia Award,as well as scoring 6 wins for APRA Awards.
Since you still have yet to discover the incredible Sia,let me ease your job by presenting my top 5 fav songs of Sia of all time.Believe me,you will be mesmerized.
1.Sia-Fire meet gasoline
This is undoubtedly,my absolutely favorite song.Ever.Since I heard it for the first time,it sparkled something real deep within me,which made me fall in love with it a lil bit whenever I listened to it.It still gives me unexplainable chills.
This record is from her sixth studio album,”1000 Forms of Fear” and was written by Sia,Greg Kurstin and Samuel Dixon.
FUN FACT: The official music video was not so official and neither was the single,whereas the purpose of it was to promote Heidi Klum’s Lingerie Collection,where Sia only licensed the song.Either way,this song is gold.
I don’t know what got to me and what exactly blew my mind,either her amazing vocals,the love story itself that it is so beautifully portrayed or the soulful lyrics,what’s certain is that her rawness and uniqueness as an artist and as a vocalist are shining brighter than ever through this masterpiece.
FAV LYRICS: “Fire meet gasoline/I’m burning alive/And I can barely breathe/When you’re here loving me.”
I am portraying an addictive and perhaps a toxic type of relationship,which describes such an overhelming and intense love,that ended up with damaging both of them.
“Chandelier” is the lead single from Australian recording artist Sia’s sixth album,which drove her to some of the highest musical achievements thus far.The single attained widespread success,charting within the top five on record charts in 20 countries,including Italy,Poland,Australia,France and Norway.It has also reached number 8 in The United Stated on the Billboard Hot 100,becoming Sia’s first single as a lead artist to appear on the Hot 100.
The song even received nominations at the 57th Grammy Awards for Song of the Year,Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance,with its video receiving also a nomination for Best Music Video.
It was viewed on Youtube over 1.2 billion times,becoming one of the most viewed and praised videos of all time.Quite impressive stats,right?
In essence,”Chandelier” is about the consequences of alcoholism and the way it is viewed,without rationality,through the perspective of a “party girl”,which despite the thrill and excitement that it surely involves,it still ends up being a big mistake on the next day.Well,I guess that’s a pretty common subject.
Okay,and can we focus on those vocals? I love how distinctive,intense and hoarse her voice sounds on her records,she is truly something else.
FAV LYRICS:“1,2,3,1,2,3 drink” ,just because it reminded me of a good ol’ party.And that I’m thirsty.
3. Sia-Bird set free
“Bird set free” is the first promotional single from her latest album,”This is acting”,released on the 3th of November 2015.It was written in collaboration with one of her good friends,Greg Kurstin,who had also produced the song.
I choose sharing with you a live performance of this masterpiece on one of my favorite TV show’s ever ,Ellen’s Show,with the purpose of showing to you how crazily good her vocals truly are,without any alterations in the studio.I mean,those high notes are everything.Her authenticity and the way she is pouring her heart out on stage never cease to amaze me.
Oh,and I love how she weaves in such a special,yet pretty unconventional way her songs with the art of dancing.Each one of her talented dancers portrays a story,with endless meanings,that holds no limits in imagination or fantasy,making her stand out easily from the crowd of artists nowadays.
FUN FACT: In an interview with Rolling Stone, Sia revealed that the song was written for the soundtrack of “Pitch Perfect 2”,but they rejected it in favour of “Flashlight” by Jessie J.Then,she pitched it to Rihanna, who rejected it,then to Adele, who initially recorded it,but let it to Sia in the end.I simply couldn’t envision anyone else singing this piece of art as spectacular and raw as Sia effortessly does.
FAV LYRICS: “And I don’t care if I sing off key/ I find myself in my melodies/ I sing for love, I sing for me/ I shout it out like a bird set free.”
4. Sia-You’re never fully dressed without a smile
FUN FACT: This is actually one of the few songs that are not written by Sia,which it may be surprinsing,given that most of her songs were created almost entirely by her.Anyway,it was covered by her especially for being included in the soundtrack of The Broadway Musical,”Annie”.
The music video for this song was filmed in New York City and it shows cast members from the 2014 film as they spread cheer to the citizens of New York City by dancing, performing random acts of kindness and holding signs with the word “smile” written on them.
This cheerful song really makes me wanna smile all the time.How about you?
FAV LYRICS:“Your clothes may be Chanel, Gucci/ Your shoes crocodile/ But baby you’re never fully dressed without a smile/ And if you stand for nothing you’ll fall for it all/ We got all we need, got no more.”
5. Sia-Cheap Thrills
Taken from her seventh studio album,”Cheap Thrills” is the latest single of Sia at the moment,which have already scored pretty awesome records in the music industry.The remix of the song,a featuring with Sean Paul,was released on 11 February 2016 as the second single from this album.
Commercially,this song became a smash-hit in no time whatsoever,marking accomplishments like certified Platinum for shipments of over 70,000 copies and reached number 6 in her hometown.In Ireland, the song reached number 1 instantly.In New Zealand, the song reached number 3, and eventually certified Platinum for sales of over 15,000 copies. In the UK, it was Sia’s highest chart position as a solo artist, peaking at number 2. In the United States, the song has peaked at number 39 on the Billboard Hot 100.
With a lot of dancing and partying vibes,along with its unconventional video,Cheap Thrills” has got under my skin and made me sing my lungs out whenever I hear it on the radio.Sorry not sorry,fellow drivers.
You can also check out the special performance video of the song,where the 13 years old Maddie Ziegler couldn’t be left out.Once again,a mesmerizing coreography,which keeps you in a constant trance.The trio of Maddie and another two male dancers put on a spectacular dance,proving their massive and outstanding talent.
I guess that now you’re ready to join the greatest fans’ community,am I right?